Wednesday, June 19, 2013

DNF Review- Shards and Ashes

Syopsis by Goodreads:
Shards and Ashes
By: Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong and Ot
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: February 13, 2013
I...
borrowed this from the library.
Gripping original stories of dystopian worlds from nine New York Times bestselling authors, edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong.

The world is gone, destroyed by human, ecological, or supernatural causes. Survivors dodge chemical warfare and cruel gods; they travel the reaches of space and inhabit underground caverns. Their enemies are disease, corrupt corporations, and one another; their resources are few, and their courage is tested.

Powerful original dystopian tales from nine bestselling authors offer bleak insight, prophetic visions, and precious glimmers of light among the shards and ashes of a ruined world.


Review:
So, this is a little hard to review since it's a collection of stories. But I think I got it.

The first story was by Veronica Roth. And I was snoozin'. Literally. I almost took a nap. And that really disappointed me, since I LOVE Veronica Roth's writing.

Next up, was a short story by Kelley Armstrong. I really enjoyed this one. It would be a great book! But then, I was kind of bored with all of the stories. I found myself saying, "When will this be over!?" for the couple that I tried.

Short stories are just not for me. I don't think they are something that works for me. I was disappointed in myself, too since I was anticipating reading more from some great authors. Since this was a DNF, I only really payed attention to Kelley Armstrong's story. I'm sure there were other good ones, but I just have so much to read right now.

I might give it another try, but I'm not sure. This book was either a hit or miss. And it just missed the mark.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain on Shards and Ashes!! I read the whole thing and trust me you're not missing out! The only story I liked was the last one. I love Arcycling!! Not that I've actually gotten a book from them yet, but it is such a cool idea!!! Anyhow better luck next time for your next reads!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I hope you get lucky with ARCycling! And thanks, I just finished Goddess by Josephine Angelini and I'm about 80 pages intp Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

      Delete